One of the biggest challenges for families is finding an appropriate personal care attendant (or respite provider) for their child or family member in need of extra support. Here are some suggestions:
- rewardingwork.org -This non-profit web based service provides contact information for people who are available to provide care for children and adults in need of extra support. Families can view a list of available providers, do an advanced search for people with specific criteria or submit job postings and receive a list of applicants. Access Code: 949993 (Please let us know of any problems signing on!)
- care.com -Web based service. Families can view list of available providers and submit job posting. Small fee involved to contact providers directly.
- Community Access Program, 78 South Main Street in Rutland has a Respite Provider Resource Book in their lobby for families to view that is periodically updated.
- Submit brief information (contact name, number, email, brief job description and requirements) to local colleges for recruiting students by contacting:
Russ Lennon, Director of Career Services College of St. Joseph the Provider 71 Clement Rd. Rutland, Vt. 05701 [email protected] Russ prefers email Chrispin White, Director of Community Service and Internships Castleton State College Castleton, Vt. 05735 802-468-1431 [email protected] Maia Hanron, Director of Career Services Green Mountain College 1 College Circle Poultney, Vt. 05764 802-287-8352 [email protected]
- Post brief information to the Rutland Family Support Network list serve. To join the list serve (a group email), send your name and e-mail address to [email protected] and Lisa Lynch (Phone Number: 775-1370) will sign you on. Lisa can also post requests onto the list serve for those without computer access.
- Check with your child’s school or other schools in the area. Area schools have many excellent, trained para-educators who may be interested in working with children outside of school hours.
- “Word of Mouth”: tell a wide variety of people you come into contact with that you are looking for someone to do respite work.
- Newspaper ad: submit brief info., including type of work and contact #, to local newspapers for advertising. Fees involved for this.
Please offer suggestions, this list will expand as other ideas are suggested. In addition, please let us know of any outdated information. Contact us Here.